Saturday, May 3, 2008

PETA- Animals have feelings too....

Warning: Long post

Now don't get me wrong....I love animals and admire the work PETA does. But there is a fine line between realism and insanity. No one has been able to define it but this is my take on it.
Every organization after tasting success and becoming big starts its tumble towards absurd alley. All of them are in danger of loosing focus of what they do....this danger is more than what Mithunda's sister faces in every movie.
The premise of this post is:
"If you do not ask/inform/consult me before fighting for my rights, its a violation of my rights IN the first place".
This is one of the primary reasons I do not hold NGO's or Social workers in high regard, mostly because most of them are frauds but also because the assume a bit too much.
Now the interesting point about PETA India is that they will not tolerate ill treatment of animals on Indian soil but anywhere else is ok. If you see the Vodafone advt, its not Bandra in the background. I love this stand...."My love for animals is geography specific". I do understand the legal constraints but not raising a stink due to geography is hilarious. Its like me saying Gwen Stefani did not bear my child cause we are on different continents...yea right.
If PETA were so bothered about the chicken in the SBI commercial or the pug in the Vodafone commercial should not they approach the chicken and the pug and ask them what they think about the whole issue? I feel to really uphold the right of animals in a "democratic" country like our we should hold free and fair election. Let all animals choose their representatives and decide when/where/how and how much to act. Now that's ethical treatment.
Also people who name their dog "socks", "armour", "yo-yo" etc should be sued. Can you imagine these 3 dogs hanging out with dogs called "raja", "khoobsurat" who's names meet the standards of the Bhartiya sanskriti? The social discrimination the 3 will feel with devastate their self confidence.
People with pets: a small request. Do not make your dog do tricks for guests and strangers. It just demeans them and it ain't no great shakes either....I just shook your hand at the door and you did not clap for me.....

4 comments:

Archana Narayan said...

Hey Satya.. The last para of this post reminded me of something. You know how we ask dogs to do show what they have learnt to guests. I couldn't help remembering how these mommies ask their children to show the new tricks they have learnt.These tricks also include handshakes, flying kisses, hi fis and so on... see what i mean?

Satyajit said...

Archana:
This may sound offensive :-) but i have always equated children to pets. The difference being pets are cheaper to maintain, easier to control and have a shorter lifespan. Advantage pets.....

Archana Narayan said...

Know what.... I have also equated children to pets as I really love animals (esp dogs) people take offense when I tell them I am reminded of my doggie when I see their kid.. so no offense taken.... trust me maintaining pets is not so cheap these days... just that u dont need to fund their education...... :)

Geeta Bose said...

PETA reminds me of our film censor board and all other moral brigades who want to spoil the fun always! For them, fun is "sin" and they look for ways and means to enforce "moral cleansing".

Actually, this sets me thinking, shouldn't PETA fight against domestication of animals? Animals should be left wild! How can you potty train them? How can you feed them Pedigree?...